Sacramento Rider Resources
Motorcycle Injury Lawyers
Whether you’re a novice rider or an experienced rider, the following websites and organizations may help you safely enjoy the open road.
- Share the Lane: Lane Splitting is Legal
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Motorcycle Safety
- California Motorcyclist Safety Program (CMSP): Lane Splitting Tips
- FHA: Federal Highway Administration, Motorcycle Safety
- NMCTI: National Motorcycle Training Institute
- TIMS: Transportation Injury Mapping System
- Transportation Research and Education Center (SafeTREC) at the University of California, Berkeley
- AMA: American Motorcyclist Association
- California Highway Patrol: CHP – California Motorcyclist Safety Program
- OTS: California Office of Traffic Safety
- MSF: Motorcycle Safety Foundation
- MRF: Motorcycle Riders Foundation
- NTSB: National Traffic Safety Board
- Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic: Total Control Inc.
- NHTSA: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration – Motorcycles Page
- American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators: AAMVA
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials: AASHTO
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving: MADD
- Reduce Impaired Driving: RID
- Students Against Destructive Decisions: SADD
- National Association of State Motorcycle Safety Administrators: SMSA
Abbreviations and terminology provided by the National Agenda for Motorcycle Safety (NAMS):
Operator or motorcycle operator: person in control of a motorcycle.
Passenger: a person riding on but not operating a motorcycle.
Motorcyclist or rider: either an operator or a passenger.
- BAC: blood alcohol concentration
- BRC: MSF’s Basic RiderCourse
- DMV: Department of Motor Vehicles of a State
- DOT: Department of Transportation of a State
- DUI: driving under the influence of alcohol or other drugs
- ERC: MSF’s Experienced RiderCourse Suite
- FARS: Fatality Analysis Reporting System, operated by NHTSA
- FMVSS: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard
- GES: General Estimates System, operated by NHTSA
- HOV: High-Occupancy Vehicle, referring to roadway lanes
- NAMS: National Agenda for Motorcycle Safety
- NCHRP: National Cooperative Highway Research Program
- RSS: MSF’s Riding and Street Skills basic training course, now replaced with BRC