What to Do After a Car Accident
Sacramento Car Accident Attorneys
Getting from point A to point B should be accident free. Unfortunately, auto accidents happen every day in California, many of which are preventable. In the heat of the moment, there are many things going through your mind. The shock and confusion from the incident is overwhelming. Our lawyers put together this helpful list of steps to take after your car accident:
1. Make sure no one is hurt.
- If someone sustains a serious injury, call 9-1-1. In the case of an emergency, seek immediate medical attention. Even if your symptoms appear minor, it is still important to be examined by a doctor.
2. File a report of the collision as soon as possible.
Gather the following information:
- time and location where the accident happened
- driver license numbers
- license plate numbers
- insurance information
- Names, address and phone numbers of anyone involved in the accident including witnesses
Take pictures if possible. Documenting the scene of the accident, vehicles involved, and your injuries, are valuable evidence when pursuing a personal injury claim.
3. Write down what happened
- If you recall, write down the details of the accident as honestly and accurately as you can.
4. Do not speak with the insurance company
- The at-fault party’s insurance company will call you after the accident. Before talking to an insurance company, contact an attorney first to discuss your legal rights. You do not want to make admissions of fault or liability to the other party. In addition, do not agree to any recorded statements or conversations with the insurance company.
5. Keep all accident-related records
- Keep copies of any expenditure that is related to the accident.
Call Our Sacramento Personal Injury Lawyers | California Auto Accidents
If you or a loved one were injured in an auto accident, caused by another party’s negligence, you should contact our experienced personal injury lawyers to help protect your legal rights. You may be entitled to compensation for accident-related expenses such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Call us at (916) 520-6639 for a free case consultation. You can focus on your recovery, and we will focus on your case.