What to Do After a Car Accident
Sacramento Car Accident Attorneys
Getting from point A to point B should be accident free. Unfortunately, auto accidents happen every day in California, many of which are preventable. In the heat of the moment, there are many things going through your mind. The shock and confusion from the incident is overwhelming. Our lawyers put together this helpful list of steps to take after your car accident:
1. Make sure no one is hurt.
- If someone sustains a serious injury, call 9-1-1. In the case of an emergency, seek immediate medical attention. Even if your symptoms appear minor, it is still important to be examined by a doctor.
2. File a report of the collision as soon as possible.
Gather the following information:
- time and location where the accident happened
- driver license numbers
- license plate numbers
- insurance information
- Names, address and phone numbers of anyone involved in the accident including witnesses
Take pictures if possible. Documenting the scene of the accident, vehicles involved, and your injuries, are valuable evidence when pursuing a claim.
3. Write down what happened
- If you recall, write down the details of the accident as honestly and accurately as you can.
4. Do not speak with the insurance company
- The at-fault party’s insurance company will call you after the accident. Before talking to an insurance company, contact an attorney first to discuss your legal rights. You do not want to make admissions of fault or liability to the other party. In addition, do not agree to any recorded statements or conversations with the insurance company.
5. Keep all accident-related records
- Keep copies of any expenditure that is related to the accident.
Call Our Firm For Help Today!
More often than not, our clients call us seeking help months after they were involved in an accident. When we ask why they waited to call us, the story is typically the same; the process became too complicated, the insurance companies were beginning to act unfairly, or the other party to the accident started changing their story. This passage of time occurs frequently and can pose many challenges for your potential case.
The passage of time also causes problems if you were injured as a result of your accident. It is difficult to remember exactly how you felt after the incident, the course of your medical treatment, and the severity of your pain. Calling an attorney early after an accident allows us to walk you through the entire process and ensure all of the relevant evidence is preserved in order to put your best case forward.
If you or a loved one were injured in an auto accident, caused by another party’s negligence, you should contact our experienced lawyers to help protect your legal rights. You may be entitled to compensation for accident-related expenses such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Call us at (916) 520-6639 for a free case consultation. You can focus on your recovery, and we will focus on your case.