What Steps Can I Take to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
Personal injury lawsuits are commonly filed with the help of attorneys or other legal services. Personal injury lawsuits provide a way for victims of preventable accidents to recover compensation for damages like medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and more. In order to be successful, the plaintiff (the injured person bringing the lawsuit) needs to prove that the actions or inactions of the defendant (the person accused of negligence) were to blame for their accident.
It is important to contact a personal injury attorney you can trust as soon as possible after an accident. Before you call, make sure that you have gathered as much evidence as possible so that your attorney can begin building your case.
Here’s what you should do after an accident in order to support your personal injury claim:
- Take notes. The best way to remember the important details after suffering an injury is to write down anything you can remember about what occurred, when it occurred, and how it occurred.
- Write down the information of any witnesses. It is important to gather as much contact information from witnesses who saw you get hurt or anyone involved in the incident that led to your injury.
- Take photos or videos. Taking photos or videos of the scene can be invaluable - if you can do so safely, take pictures of your surroundings, any property damage, and any visible injuries.
- Seek medical attention. Be sure to visit your doctor promptly after an accident, even if you don’t immediately feel hurt. Any significant delay in treatment can not only hinder your physical recovery, but your legal recovery as well, as it could suggest that you aren't really as injured as you claim.
- Follow your doctors’ advice. If you don’t follow your doctor’s instructions, this may be misconstrued by an insurance company as negligence on your part, which may jeopardize your claim.
- Contact an attorney. It’s important to contact an experienced attorney immediately. An attorney can evaluate your case, protect your rights, help gather facts and evidence, take away the stress of dealing with insurance companies, and present the claim in an organized and persuasive manner to maximize your recovery. If necessary, your attorney can file a lawsuit on your behalf and litigate the case all the way through trial if that’s what justice requires.
Experienced Sacramento Personal Injury Attorneys
If you believe you have a personal injury claim and have questions about your rights, contact Kershaw, Cook & Talley. Our experienced Sacramento personal injury lawyers can protect your legal rights while you focus on your health and recovery. We handle all types of personal injury cases, from car accidents to premises liability claims, and serve clients throughout the Sacramento area.
Call our law office at (916) 520-6639 for a free case evaluation and to speak with one of our experienced attorneys.