Labor Day Safety in Sacramento
Labor Day marks the end of summer. As a result, many are looking forward to having one last weekend to travel, socialize, and generally be festive before the end of the season. Have fun but not lose sight of safety. The number of car accidents and other types of accidents typically spikes during Labor Day weekend as roads become congested with drivers and crowds gather at popular spots. The Red Cross offers the following tips so that your fun weekend isn’t affected by an injury or other tragic accident:
- Carry an emergency supply kit in your trunk.
- Make sure others know your destination, route, and expected arrival time.
- Don’t drink and drive.
- Respect speed limits.
- If you have young children, or inexperienced swimmers in your group, use life jackets.
- Always supervise young children while they are in the water.
- Before and throughout the day, make sure you check weather and water conditions.
- Go swimming with a buddy.
Friends and families will flock to the American River Parkway- Discovery Park and other local waterholes during Labor Day weekend. Last year, several people drowned at the confluence of the American and Sacramento rivers (approximately four times than normal). The river conditions are dangerous even for strong swimmers. Beware of river conditions (like fast currents) and stay safe.
- Make sure grills and other heat sources are situated away from anything that can catch fire.
- Follow the grill manufacturer instructions.
- Make sure children and pets are away from grills or any other potentially dangerous heat sources.
- If coals are already ignited, don’t add more starter fluid.
- Undergo a Vessel Safety Check before boating.
- Make sure people in your group are educated in the ways of boating safely.
- Make sure you wear a life jacket at all times.
- In the off chance an unfortunate accident occurs, make sure you file an Accident Report with the state reporting authority.
- Don’t boat (or jetski) under the influence, and look out for and report intoxicated boaters
Sacramento Personal Injury Lawyers
Following these helpful tips can help ensure that the Labor Day weekend stays fun and safe for yourself and your loved ones. In addition, local authorities will patrol in full force. Keep yourself and your community safe: always have a designated driver if you plan on drinking.
Unfortunately, even with preparation, not all misfortune can be prevented. If you or a loved one suffered an injury caused by another’s negligence, call our experienced personal injury lawyers to preserve your legal rights. Contact Kershaw, Cook & Talley for a free case consultation at (916) 520-6639.